Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Reflections on a Rabbi’s Retirement

Last Saturday there was a big party at my congregation. As my Rabbi had announced during the High Holidays, this was the last service he would be leading employed by the synagogue. To commemorate the occasion, I would like to briefly talk about him and the impact he has had on me, my family, and my local community.

My Rabbi has been with the congregation for over thirty years. I remember around the time of my Bar Mitzvah that he was celebrating eighteen years with the congregation. He has a great interest in science fiction, and I remember discussing quantum physics briefly in a high school rabbinical seminar. I was present when he was sitting Shivah for his deceased wife, and he was with my family when we were mourning the loss of my grandparents.

In that Saturday morning service, I saw the congregation as it was and where it might go in the future. Most of the people I grew up with in the synagogue were not around, but there were plenty of new families to require extra seating for the main service. It was great to sing melodies with the crowd and connect with my family friends at lunch. I hope for the best in my Rabbi’s retirement and for a better future wherever we may go.

No comments:

Post a Comment