Friday, January 17, 2014

A Trip to the Rosicrucian Museum





In the city of San Jose, there is one particularly hidden gem. A Christian order maintains a museum full of Egyptian antiquities for the general public to visit. Before the end of the year, I visited the museum with some friends, as I had not been to the place in a long time. I would like the opportunity to tell you about what I saw.
The Rosicrucian Museum is full of exhibits showing off the life and death of ancient Egypt and the civilizations surrounding it. In one area you can see a replica of the Rosetta stone, while in others you can see a sarcophagus and a model of one of the great pyramids. Many artifacts are encased in glass because they are the genuine deal. It would take hours to read up all the plaques regarding upper class customs and the details of the afterlife. The museum even has a replica of a tomb that you can see on a guided tour. At the time I visited, there were so many people waiting for the tour that I could not get in. I didn’t care too much because I had been on that tour years ago; maybe I should visit again and see if I notice anything different.
The museum campus has some other attractions as well. The grounds are quite pretty with a garden and fountain to walk around. I went to a show at the old planetarium hoping to see a light show. Unfortunately, the attraction merely involved a projector displaying a short movie on the cosmos narrated by Whoopi Goldberg. I found the posters about the history of the Rosicrucian order outside the planetarium theater more interesting than the film.

In short, the Rosicrucian museum might be worth your time. It’s a great place to learn about ancient Egypt in the Silicon Valley area. I doubt I will visit the museum any time soon, but you never know what the future brings. May the lords of life and death, which may or may not include Osiris and Anubis, have mercy on my eternal soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment