Thursday, February 13, 2014

NPR Ask Me Another Live Taping Impressions




Every year SF Sketchfest brings the latest and greatest in comedy acts to San Francisco for three weeks all over the city. I checked the schedule to see which acts I would be interested in and discovered the live taping of an NPR show I had not heard of. Since I listen to Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me the NPR News Quiz often, I was curious of what would go down at the Casto Theater on a Wednesday night for a show a friend described to me as a puzzle game show with musical accompaniment from Jonathan Coulton. I am happy to report that my ticket to a floor seat in the auditorium was well spent.

Ask Me Another is a quiz show that focuses on brain teasers with celebrity guests. Host Oprah Eisenberg pits contestants to figure out word games like creating a new word by adding the @ symbol – the hints were both words, and I could not figure out most of them. Coulton oversaw a musical quiz of the 1980s with hints set to parts of a certain Huey Lewis and the News hit. Special guests included Mythbusters host Adam Savage, who talked about learning how to crack a whip before quizzing contestants on which myths were busted on his show, and Danny Pudi, an actor from the show Community who blew kisses to the Polish women in the audience before playing a game about action movie one-liners. The radio program closes with the winners of previous sections of the show answering rapidly with the threat of elimination if the next person in line can respond correctly. This time the Jeopardy-themed final had answers all involving cosmic entities, and I suppressed my desire to blurt out the final answer that reminded me of the time I watched space station footage on my local television set.
The live taping provided some more entertainment in the interactions with the hosts and guests you could not tell on radio. Eisenberg warmed up the audience with a comedy routine mentioning her husband’s unsuccessful attempt to hide his browsing history from her, and Coulton sang a song about IKEA before the program started. During an intermission I got to shake Coulton’s hand, regretting that I had no physical album to bring to sign, and I took a picture of New York Times technology columnist Farhad Manjoo, the first guest and contestant on the show that night. Danny Pudi in addition to blowing kisses dig a little jig on stage, and Eisenberg needed a few tries to rerecord a line about just needing a landline to participate in the show. It was great watching the radio show crew without needing to fly to New York to see one of their regular shows.
The NPR program Ask Me Another is an excellent variety show with puzzles, celebrity guests, and musical accompaniment. It is available to download in podcast form, so I look forward to hearing what they actually will air next month. By then I should be through with the backlog of the other NPR quiz show I listen to on long commutes.

Ask Me Another Site

No comments:

Post a Comment