Friday, November 23, 2012

Election Day 2012 Reflections


I had something to say about the presidential debates this year. I even managed to post all of it before I knew the election outcome. Now that Barack Obama is officially reelected, I can talk a little about what I was up to the day I exercised my civic duty.

I was actually in a rush to vote. Four years ago, I was in Chicago and had voted absentee a week or so before the election. This year, I was planning just to vote in person as I voted in the primary a few months ago. I had a team presentation for a class later that day, so I didn’t dwell on voting very much. Sure, I had checked a voting guide or four before I left my house for the day, but I did not bring one with me to the high school where the polls were being conducted. I drove over the poll center in the outfit I would wear for the team presentation. I cast my vote mostly from memory, and I was pretty sure I marked everything I wanted. Taking a sticker for the road, I headed to my class.
I was actually surprised when the presidential election results were announced. My school planned an election watch party an hour after the polls closed locally. This would have been fine in Chicago, but I was in California this time. In 2008, as soon as the west coast polls closed, the news stations announced that Barack Obama was the victor. This time, I was in a review session for a test in another class until around 9:00 p.m. I was checking CNN for updates on the polls, but I got up to ask my teacher a question. Someone remarked that Obama had won, so I rushed back to a nearby computer to verify. Sure enough, CNN had declared Obama clinching the presidential election contest. I celebrated by going to the watch party and having some cake. I drove home later that night and only found out about Romney’s concession speech the following morning.
As the second time I voted in a general election contest, it wasn’t all that exciting. Four years ago I was more concerned with purchasing a birthday cake for my brother than watching the election results from downtown Chicago. This year I didn’t do anything special because I needed to study for a test two days later. The election margin was closer than in 2008, but as a California resident voting for president is just an exercise in a record. Maybe when I’m older the election will be more exciting, but for now I will hope for the future of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment